How Oncologist Dr. Dilip Ramdas Pawar innovated Specialised steam therapies for treating Covid
Mumbai, 18th April, 2023:- Led by Dr. Dilip Ramdas Pawar, Doctors at Seven Hills Hospital have conducted a study using steam as a therapy for treating Covid patients. The study aimed to observe the effect of heat and humidity on the virus, and the results are promising. Dr. Dilip Pawar, the lead investigator of the study, said that asymptomatic patients were getting cured within seven days after the use of steam, while symptomatic patients took seven to ten days.
The study was conducted in May and June 2021 when corona cases were on the rise, and many essential drugs were being used in clinical trials. “We first tried administering patients with injection Tocilizumab, and nearly 80 percent responded well to it. Following this, we decided to study Covid-19 in detail, which revealed that there are three ways through which SARS-CoV-2 virus can enter the human body, which includes nose, mouth (oral), and eyes,” said Dr. Dilip Ramdas Pawar, MD, PhD, Honorary Consultant Seven Hills Covid Hospital and lead author of the study.
Steam inhalation is traditionally used as a home remedy for common colds and upper respiratory tract infections. The evidence base of the practice is weak, with unproven theories that the steam loosens mucus, opens nasal passages, and reduces mucosal inflammation, or that the heat inhibits the replication of viruses.
Dr. Pawar further said that steam has a temperature of about 70 to 80 degrees Celsius, which is well above the instability temperature of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Moreover, it is known that viruses get killed at 56 to 60 degrees Celsius. “The study was conducted in two groups, which included 105 asymptomatic, mild, and moderate patients. The first group comprises healthcare workers who are asymptomatic, and another included patients and HCWs who are symptomatic,” he said.
Group 1 was asked to take steam twice a day for five minutes by nasal route with intermittent breathing by oral route, while Group 2 was asked to administer by nasal and oral route every three hours for five minutes. “None of the patients in Group 1 showed any sign of progression to Covid-19 symptoms after a follow-up ranging from 14 days to two months. In group 2, mild symptoms regressed in three days to normal, and in moderate symptoms, it took seven to ten days to return to normal,” the study revealed.
Dr. Pawar said there was a drastic drop in the symptoms of the Covid-19 virus after the patients were administered with steam. Moreover, there was no further transmission observed in patients taking steam.
Dr. Dilip Ramdas Pawar has been at the forefront of the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, and his contribution has been exceptional. He has donated 20,000 PPE kits and N95 masks to Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, which is the biggest donation made by a private doctor in Mumbai during the Corona crisis. Over all Dr Pawar donated 1 lac PPE kits and around 2 lacs N95 mask in Maharashtra. He has also provided 100 ventilators to different Hospitals including Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital, Thane Municipal Corporation, Grand Medical College and Indian Army. He has set up a special OPD at Samtanagar Police Station for the North Regional Division (Goregaon to Dahisar) Police, where police counselling is being done along with covid treatment at the OPD.
Dr. Pawar’s efforts have been appreciated by Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar, who said that his self-service towards the corona patients is commendable. His personal initiative has become a relief for Tata Memorial Hospital, and his cooperation has become an example for others in the anti-corona space.
Dr. Dilip Ramdas Pawar, a renowned oncologist and Harvard Scholar, has been making significant strides in the field of preventive oncology for over 20 years. Dr. Pawar is dedicated to screening the maximum number of people for early detection of oral, breast, and cervical cancer.
Dr. Pawar has extensive experience in clinical research, medical affairs, and regulatory matters in the pharmaceutical industry. He specializes in early clinical development programs for research molecules in oncology, cardiovascular, arthritis, diabetes, gastrointestinal, autoimmune disorders, and pain management.
Dr. Dilip Ramdas Pawar is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, European society of Medical Oncology, Indian Pharmacological Society, India, Vice President of Indian Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Mumbai, and a Life Member of the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, USA and many other associations
He has earned several degrees and certifications from prestigious institutions worldwide, MBBS from Grant Medical College, Mumbai, MD from LTM Medical College, Mumbai, India , Fellowship in Clinical Pharmacology and training at University of California, USA, Ph.D. in Herbal Medicine from the International University of Complementary Medicine, USA Harvard University’s Global Clinical Research Training, and a specialization in Marketing from ITM in collaboration with NSHU, USA.
In addition to his extensive education and experience, Dr. Pawar has been honored with numerous awards for his contributions to the medical field. He was awarded the “Janseva Sadbhavana Award” by the International Integration and Growth Society for Individual Achievement for Social Development in 2006, as well as the “Pharma Leaders award for Excellence in Medicine and Medico Marketing” in 2015, by Pharma Leaders in association with the Ministry of Health and Family Affairs.
Dr. Pawar has also been recognized as a Corona Warrior by several organizations, including the Indian Medical Association, Times of India, Indian Red Cross Society, Mumbai Municipal Corporation BDBA Hospital, and MLA, Vidhan Parishad, Government of Maharashtra.
He has published more than 180 scientific papers in national and international journals and holds several honorary positions, including Honorary Army Doctor, Honorary Doctor for Mumbai Police, Hon. Visiting Professor at UNIVERSIDAD AUSTRAL DE CHILE, VALDIVIA, CHILE, and PhD guide with J J Tibrewal University, Rajasthan.
Dr. Dilip Ramdas Pawar commitment to advancing the field of oncology is unmatched, and his dedication to patient care and research is an inspiration to all. Dr Pawars passion is to work in the field of prevention of Cancer and do screening of patients for early detection of Oral, Breast and Cervical Cancer with never technologies.
Dr. Dilip Pawar along with his team has been awarded Guinness Book of World Record for screening of Breast Examination by self examination. Canducted World record for organising medical camp for Health Check up at Bhum Paranda, Osmanabad along with Health Minister of Maharashtra and Doctor 365.
Dr Pawar has received special award and recognition from Indian Army at Ukhrul Base Camp by Assam Riffles and at Chummathang by Red eagles Division
PROFESSIONAL VALUES OFFERED
• Working in the field of Preventive Oncology with the aim to screen maximum people for early detection of Oral, Breast and Cervical cancer
• A Oncologist and Harvard Scholar, Diligent & Dedicated Global Head of Clinical Development , including APAC and developing countries with 20yrs of experience in Clinical Research, Medical Affairs and Regulatory in Pharmaceutical Industry
• Having excellent experience in early Clinical development program for research molecules in Oncology, Cardiovascular, Arthritis, Diabetes, Gastrointestinal, Auto immune disorders and Pain Management
• Member of Indian Pharmacological Society, India, Vice President of Indian Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Mumbai and Life Member of American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, USA.
PROFESSIONAL & ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS
• M.D.(Clinical Pharmacology) L.T.M.Medical College, Mumbai First Attempt 1996
• MMSc (Oncology) Texila University First Attempt 2017
• GCSRT (Global Clinical Research Training) Harvard University, USA DISTINCTION 2022
• M.B.B.S Grant Medical College, Mumbai First Class 1991
• F.A.C.P(Fellow in Clinical Pharmacology) American Soc. of Clinical Pharmacology 2004
• MBA(Specialized in Marketing) ITM in collaboration with NSHU,USA DISTINCTION 2007
• Ph.D (Herbal Medicine) Int. Uni. Of Complimentary Medicine 1999
• Dip. in Pharmaceutical Business Mgt Bombay Institute Of Technology DISTINCTION 1996
• Dip. in stress Management Calcutta 2009
• Diploma in Computer Applications Mumbai 1996
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
• Honorary Army Doctor for treating Indian Military at various locations including Indian Border
• World Record for conducting worlds Largest Medical screening Camps in INDIA
• INDIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION CORONA WARRIOR AWARD, 2020
• Times of India Corona Warrior Award on Doctors Day, 2020
• Indian Red Cross Society Corona Warrior Award, 2020
• Mumbai Municipal Corporation BDBA Hospital, CORONA WARRIOR AWARD, 2020
• Corona Yoddha Award by MLA, Vidhan Parishad, Govt of Maharashtra, 2020
• India Today, Top Mumbai Doctor Award for Corona Warrior, Aug 2020
• Honorary doctor for screening and treating Mumbai Police
• Guinness Book of world Record for conducting Self screening of Breast Examination; 2016
• Awarded Best Poster award in World Cancer & Onco diagnostics Conference(WCC); 27-28 Nov; 2017
• Invited by All India Radio for a radio program which was relayed in India and by DTH all over the world for interview on awareness on Prostrate Cancer in regional language, March 2016
• Awarded Pharma Leaders award for Excellence in Medicine and Medico Marketing in Dec 2015, by Pharma Leaders in association with Ministry of Health and Family Affairs; 2015
• “Janseva Sadbhavana Award” by International Integration and Growth Society for Individual Achievement for Social Development, February 2006,New Delhi,India.
• ‘Travel Award’in2002 at the XIV World Conference of Pharmacology, San Francisco, California,USA.
• ‘Travel Award’in 2000 at the VII World Conference on Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics at Florence,
Italy, July 2000.
• Young Investigator Award’ by Indian Society for Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics in 1997 & 2000.
• Visihist Chikitsa Gold Medal by Fellow of College Of Chest Physician, Delhi, India, In 1994.
• Honorary Army Doctor
• Honorary doctor for Mumbai Police
• Hon. Visiting Professor at UNIVERSIDAD AUSTRAL DE CHILE, VALDIVIA,CHILE
• PhD guide with J J Tibrewal University, Rajasthan
• PhD Examiner with Y.C Maharashtra Open University, Maharashtra
• Visiting Faculty & Examiner at Maharashtra University of Health Sciences for MSc Pharmaceutical Medicine
• Associate Editor of Indian Medical Gazette for last ten years
• Ex Editor with JAMA India, Indian Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, Indian Practitioner
• Ex Visiting Faculty at Institute of Clinical Research and Training; MUMBAI and PUNE
• Ex Examiner at Chettinad University of Medical Sciences for Medical Undergraduates
• Published more than 180 scientific papers in National and International Journals
MEMBERSHIPS & POSITIONS OF IMPORTANCE
• Member of American Society of Oncology
Member of European society of Medical Oncology
LIFE MEMBER of American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, USA.
• LIFE MEMBER of American Society for Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics, USA.
• Vice President of Indian Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Mumbai.
• MEMBER of Indian Pharmacological Society, India.
• Elected As Joint Secretary For Indian Society For Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics 1999–2000
• Elected As Exec.Member Of Indian Society For Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics 1997–1999
• Member of National Social Service Of Grant Medical College 1987–1990
PARTICIPATION IN CONFERENCES & SEMINARS
• Participated in various International conferences and workshops and presented scientific papers like ASCO, ESMO,
In ESMO Asia 2017, presented the highest number of Poster presentation
• One of the organizing member for conducting one of the largest Breast Cancer Screening camp, conducted on 20 Feb 2016
• Organized various Medical Camps across India, including the worlds largest medical camp
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PAPER REPRESENTATIONS
• Presented two papers in European society of Medical oncology, in Spain 2017, seven papers in ESMO Asia in Singapore 2017, six papers in World Cancer Congress Dubai 2017
• Comparision of cognitive benefits of Donepezil in patients with cortical and subcortical Vascular dementia. Poster Presentation, 6th Int. Congress on Vascular Dementia, Barcelona, Spain,(Awarded Vascular Dementia Poster Prize) Nov2009
• Donepezil improves cognition both in patients with probable and those with possible vascular dementia. Poster Presentation, 6thInternational Congress on Vascular Dementia, Barcelona, Spain, Nov 2009
• Donepezil had significant benefits on cognition in patients with Post Stoke Dementia: A subgroup analysis from an open labeled, non comparative observational Study in Vascular dementia. Poster Presentation, 6th International Congress on Vascular Dementia, Barcelona, Spain, Nov 2009
• Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of Eperisone HCl, in the treatment of Acute musculo skeletal spasm associated with low back pain: Arandomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial, Poster Presentation, at 5th World Institute of Pain, New York, USA, 13-15 March 2009
• Oral paper presented on Post Marketing Surveillance study of Losartan and Ramipril in Indian Hypertensive patients in 3rd Asian Pacific Congress of Hypertension, in Singapore, April 2004
• Presented paper on Post Marketing Surveillance study of FDC Losartan and Ramipril in Indian Hypertensive patients in 14th Asian Pacific Congress of Cardiology, in Singapore, January 2004
• Post Marketing Surveillance study of FDC of Losartan and Ramipril in Indian Hypertensive patients PAPER ACCEPTED in following conferences,
o 13th European meeting on Hypertension,Milan,Italy,June2003
o XIX Inter American Cardiology Conference, Canada, October 2003
o 12th International Congresson Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy, Barcelona, Spain, May2003
o First International Conference for Cardiologist, Jordan, April 2003
o Second Geneva Conference in Hypertension, Italy, February2003
• Presented paper on Rofecoxib (Roff) + Betacyclodextrin (BCD) complex versus plain Rofecoxibin Rheumatoid Arthritis: A controlled trail of efficacy and safety. 10th APLAR Congress of Rheumatology,Dec1 –6,2002,Bangkok,Thailand.
•Presented paper on Randomized, double blind study for efficacy and safety of Rofecoxib + Betacyclodextrin complex versus Rofecoxib in OA knees. 10th APLAR Congress of Rheumatology, December 1–6,2002, Bangkok,Thailand.
•Presented paper on Randomized, Double blind trial of Rofecoxib compared to Diclofenac in OA knees: An IndianStudy. 10thAPLAR Congress of Rheumatology, December1 –6,2002,Bangkok,Thailand.
• Presented Paper on‘Post Marketing Surveillance of FIXX(Cefixime)-The Third Generation Cephalosporin in Indian Population’ in XIV World Conference of Pharmacology, July 7-12,2002.San Francisco, California,USA.
• Presented Paper On Post Marketing Surveillance Of Ethamsylate In Indian Population In VII World Conference On Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics At Florence, Italy, July 2000
• Newer Antimicrobials (Guest Lecture) in APICON at Chennai 2002
• Efficacy of Celecoxib versus Diclofenacin OA, a double-blind study In APICON at Delhi 2001
• Post Marketing Surveillance Of Ethamsylate (Cosklot) In Indian Population In Apicon At Jaipur 2000
• Post Marketing Surveillance Of Ciprofloxacin &Tinidazole Combination In Indian Population, In Apicon, Calcutta 1999
• Analysis Of Prescription Pattern And Cost Of Antimicrobials In Burns Cases, In Apicon, Bangalore 1998
• Efficacy And Tolerability Of Iron Apple Juice In ISCPT Conference At Sion Hospital, Mumbai 1997
• Low Dose FDC Of Atenolol and Nifedipine SR for The Treatment Of Mild To Moderate Hypertension, Apicon, Lucknow, 1997
• Evaluation of Hepatoprotective Activity of Randia Dumetorum Plant, In Annual Conf. of IPS, Patiala, Punjab, Nov. 1995
• Drug Utilisation Study In Intensive Cardiac Care Unit, In National Symposium At G.S. Medical College, Mumbai 1993
Riyaz Ahmed, Editor In Chief, Mti News